Tax Collector

Debra DeBlois – Tax Collector

Office Hours: Monday through Thursday 10:00 to 4:00

Tax Bills are generally mailed out the last week of May and the last week of October. The due dates vary slightly from year to year but are usually due around July 1st and December 1st.

Phone – 603-237-5255
Fax – 603-237-8270

e-mail: [email protected]

For tax questions, you may also speak with the Town Clerk during her normal work hours.

Property Taxes – Frequently Asked Questions:

What period does the property tax bill cover?
The property tax bill due in July covers the period from April lst to September 30th, the property tax bill due in December covers the period from October lst to March 31st of the following year.

What types of payment does the Town accept?
We accept cash, certified bank checks, cashier’s checks, personal checks, and money orders. If a personal check is returned for non-payment by our bank, an additional $25.00 returned check fee will be assessed.

When does my tale start to accrue interest?
Interest accrues on the unpaid balance at 12% annually and begins the day after the due date noted on your bill. Interest is added daily to your account. This interest rate is established by State Statute. Please note that we will accept USPS Postmark on or before the due date as timely payment.

What is the interest rate if a lien is placed on my property?
The interest rate is 18% annually and is added to your account daily. Again, this interest rate is established by State Statute.

My taxes are paid through an escrow account with my mortgage. Do I have to forward my tax bill to my mortgage company?
It is the homeowner’s responsibility to forward the tax bill to their mortgage company for timely payment. However, many mortgage companies independently request tax billing information directly from the Town of Columbia. This information (which is all public information) is provided to them. You should, however, check with your individual mortgage company to make sure that payments are made by the due date.

If there is a lien placed on my property, how long before further action is taken by the Town?
Taxpayers have two years from the date the lien is executed to pay the amount due plus associated interest and costs before the property is deeded to the Town. A series of certified mailings are sent to the taxpayer at their last known address as part of the lien process.

How do I change my address with the Town?
Mail written notification to the Town of Columbia, P.O. Box 157, Colebrook, NH 03576.

What kind of tax credits and tax exemptions are available to residents?
Exemptions are available for the elderly. Tax credits are available for veterans and disabled veterans. For more information, please contact the Town Office during normal business hours.

I just purchased property in Columbia. Do I need to do notify anyone?
The Town sends out tax bills usually in late May and late October. If the time of your real estate closing is near one of these dates, the bill will probably be sent to the prior owner. The Coos County Registry of Deeds notifies the Town of ownership changes once the deed is recorded. We normally make ownership changes once per month.

I can’t afford to pay all my taxes at once, can I make payments?
Yes, the Town accepts partial payments and is always willing to work with taxpayers who are struggling to meet their obligations by setting up a monthly payment plan that will fit your budget. We also accept pre-payments. In other words, if during the summer you wish to start paying on your December bill we will accept any money you give us and credit it to your account. When the bills are issued, we will bill you for the balance.

How do I file for a Tax Abatement?
You can file an application for a Tax Abatement after the “final notice of tax” which is the December tax bill. The taxpayer must file an application (forms found on the Assessing Section) no later than March lst following the December bill.

What is Timber Tax?
Timber Taxes or Yield Taxes are taxes that are collected on the timber that you cut on your property. You must file an Intent to Cut prior to your logger starting work. Once the cutting is done, a Report of Timber Cut form is filed and the tax bill is issued based on the number of board feet cut times the specific rate for each type and quality of wood times 10%. Intent to Cut forms are available at the Town Office during normal business hours.

What is Excavation Tax?
Excavation Tax or Gravel Tax are taxes that are collected on the gravel that you excavate on your property. You must file an Intent to Excavate prior to beginning your operation. Once the excavation is completed for the year, a Report of Excavated Material must be filed and the tax bill is issued based on the number of yards of material excavated times $.02 per year. Intent to Excavate forms are available at the Town Office during normal business hours.